Monday, February 27, 2006

the loss


it was valentine's day.. had huge plans.. mama was coming to karachi that day.. went to the airport and got her.. then went to uni , got back.. and took a short nap to recharge myself for the crazy night ahead....was woken up by mama .. who had recieved a call from my uncle who had taken grandpa for dialysis at the dialysis centre... he had said taht grandpa wasnt feelign well...so he was taking grandpa to the ER of his hopsital.. she was going to se e him there.. I said I wanted to go too.. she told me to stay back.. and come in a while.
we had taken him to the ER on Sunday too.. stayed there the whole day .. he had been discharged after all the tests thatw ere conducted came out negative ahe was good to go home...
anyways at around maghrib ..I showered..dressed up..offered namaz.. and myself and my sister got int he car to leave for the hospital...when I had spoken to mamaearlier ..she said he had been not well...and I had this weird feeling .. unexplainable..I ignored that .. and put the key in ignition....and in seconds I was outside the gates...a neighbour, who has been in our neighbourhood for decades, was standing outside her gates, when she saw me go she called after me.. i stopped the car she walked upt o me ..and asked me how my grandpa was .. and where was he .. I told her that he was in the hospital.. she said she wanted to go ..so I said come along.. this lady is very religious..and I mean really religious..so I though it would be good to have her around ..she coyuld recite surahs for grandpa's health..
so we get to the hospital I park the car and we walk in.. and I see veryone gathered there..even my step uncles and aunts...and my uncles mngling with them which was a surprise becasue there was always war between them...as long as I remembered.. I says alam to all ..and walked into see grandpa ..he was in the critical unit..oxygen mask ..on his face.. he looked very anxious ..very agitated...his canula came out .. so I heldhis hand in mine...he was bleeding I held his hand tight ..then the male nurse came and fixed the canula...I came out and let other family memebers go and see him .. ad ntomany were allowed inside at one time...I was talkign to an aunt when she told me his blood had rubbed on my face..it must've been on my hnad and fromt here it rubbed onto my face I wipd that .. and strted to make all kinds of dua...then my step aunt comes out..and she comes to me and say s,,"daddy nahi bachengay ..daddy nahi bachengay" and I said "nahi ..aisay nahi kahay ..woh theek hojayegnay "
we waited for hours taking turns to go in and have alook at grandpa ...we used to call him "daddy"too...and then we were informed that he'd have to be shifted onto a ventilator temporarily cause he was having difficult breathing.. we consulted ou family doctrors and a few family friends who were doctors arrived at the hospital too.. they all d ecied it was the best option right now...I go in and the religious aunt is standing there reciting duas ..the doctors had drawn the curtains as they were shifting him onto the ventilator but i could still see from a little gap...they were doing the usual procedures when suddently the monitor went "teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" theat sound stiill haunts me.. and the doc pulled down the bed and almost got up on my grandpa's chest and started doing the cardiac massage ..I was shocked..my mind was goign" this can not be happening .. how can this happen...he was going to be okay...?"
I ran out formt he critical unit and into the aiting area where everyone was gathered..and i just started crying i was like"daddy ...ammi woh daddy "I wanted to tell them them abt the cardiac massage and I tried to explain it but they didnt understand .. but they still ran in ..and my mama stopped me because I was about to pass out.. she told me not to go in.. the docs told everyoen tog o out...and then it was the most horrible feeling waiting there.. knowing ...it was o bad..somethign I wouldnt wsh even for my worst of enemies.....we all stood crying...
then his pulse came back ....and we were all hopeful again...everyone calmed down.. docs said he 'd be fine...we thnked our Lord...but then, the pulse was gone again they had tried everythign to revive him..but nothing worked..and they delivered the news to us..
my grandpa was gone..he was no longer with us..how is that possible...no this cant be...this is a lie..this is a dream... but it wasnt it was all true.. we were all crying and screaming... outside ..mama was getting sick.. hI was so scared.. so scared..she is a heart patient .. and I didnt want anythign to happen o my mama.. I hugged her tight .. gave her water...i was so scared..my mama and me cying ..my litte sister crying...I ran up to my step dadi ..who my grandpa adored and gave her water .. we all hugged and cried..
then for my mom's sake i ran upto the car ... put my head on the streering wheel and cried....cried so much...took the car to the place where veryone was standing ..got my mama and sis my cousins who live with me in the car and drove back.. and I silently cried ..didnt make asound... only for my mama.. she sat next to me in the passenger seat ..I couldnt makeher cry more..I couldnt... we reached home.. there were people gathered there already ... I made my mama sit down got her a glass of water... and as I turned around to get my aunt a glass of wate r.. i just collapsed onto the floor..I didnt know wht happened..but I just went blank..and they then put me onto the bed ..splashed water onto me and then i regained consiousness,then I went and sat rigth near my mom's feet ...and every memory I had of my grandpa came back to me in flashbacks...I couldnt belive it.. It felt he had gone to america.. which we did every year ...but he always came back.. my mama told me later that I kept moving back and fro....and my mama tried to stop me ..but it wouldnt stop.. I dont really remmember that ...anyways my cousins took em into the ohter room.. where i sat silently in the corner...thinking , wishing it was all a bad dream.. when my cousin who I adore bina .. came with mama.. and they shook me .. screamed ..shouted .. saying cry mehwish .. cry mehwish .. cry...and then I pushed them away and I cried.. I miised him already .. I missed him so much.. I loved him so much ..never realised that not till thatd ay .. how much I really loved him.....
I was given an anti depressant to help me relax.. and I fell asleep after that...before that ..I called my dad..to inform him.. and he was already at the airport .. I said papa daddy passed away...and there was silence atthe other end and then he said inna lillahi winnlahay rajeeun..., I asked him when he'd get here.. he said im just about to get on the plane.. will be there in acouple of hours.... and then we hung up..but i was scared .. I wanted my dad to be with someone then..he was all broken down.. thank lord..my papa's friend Ayub uncle accompanied him on the trip .. I love him for that....
when i woke up the next mornign at arounf fajr.. I saw dad's suit carrier in the other room.. papa had come.. he had gone to see grandpa....I washed up.. prayed ..and then went downstairs to help with arrangemnets for the day ahead...papa came back.. he went up stairs.. I went after him.. he was standing in the corridor.. I looked at him ..and he looked at me.. andthen i ran up to him and hugged him,, real tight... my papa was crying .. a man was crying for his father... and a girl was crying cause her father was crying ....the embrace lasted for a long time and then we walked up to the living room where we all sat down and narrated the previous nights events to him... my grandpa had been calling my papa..just before he passed away... that made my dad cry .. he wanted to be with him..but destiny ....
whatever happened later cannot be explained in words.. it just cant .. cause no words could ever do justice to the way I felt... so I'll just keep silent now...
my grandpa was a great man ..
I miss him so much .. I miss the way I washed his face every morning .. check his blood glucose , gave him breakfast ,lunch ,dinner.. listen to his ghussa when he used to get angry ... listen to his jokes...his shair... every day .. for teh past so many years.....
May he rest in peace....
Ameen...

12 comments:

meshwork said...

I know a lot of stuff doesnt make sense.. but just kept typing...
so forgive me...:)

benz said...

oh my poor mehwish... ! i love u *hugs*
i knwo we both were not there at the most important need of our times to console eahtoher to hus eachother.... to wipe tears which kept rolling down like a stream.... welll.. ppl are lucky who can cry in frotn of others.. i wish i could do tht too....
someitmes lots of thigns happene in our lives unexpectedly n we fail to admit it.... or soemtimes we arew in the trauma of shock tht it takes a while to get into the shape....
Be strong mehwish... its the time when u have to act strong n hide ur tears.... ur people need u ....i was n will alwayys b there for u ...no matter what the circumstances be......
i love u for how u are.... :)
i know u r very strong... :)
u rock girl.....
takecare
muah
*hugs*

benz said...

i msrorry for the grrrrrrr writing.. i iwll def start practicing on tht now... lolz

benz said...

for who*

benz said...

i loved ur dada too.... he was a gem of a person .. it's hard to beleieve the news of the ones u knwo for a long time n they leave some kind of an impression in your lives... May Allah rest his soul in peace.....

i knwo what u r going through .. i mstill going through the same phase... i know they cant come back ... my dadi . my phuppi n ur dada.... but mehwish they are now in a much better better place.... this world id full of dash people
i know u r very strong.....
luv ya

coco jumbo said...

very painful and unexplainable. May Allah provide you and your family patience.

M said...

FINALLLLLYYYYYYYYYYY aunty jii posts.

lemme read it first n thn comment further...

God, i missed u.

Badly.

M said...

i wz expecting and waiitng for u to give me detailz ... i soo was.

oh hunny, my poor lil sweetheart... seeing everyone cry kinda makes u stop crying...for sum reason. but thn it cums rushin back wid fulll force n u cant help. just cant.

ur DAD needs u now hunny. he jus LOST his dad. dun let him break down... u both need to be stong for each... n ur family members..

ur mom needs u sweety. u have to set example for them so they be strong too n Pray for him...

God i miss my grandpa. All this jus reminded me how he passed away. he got better jus lyk ur grandpa b4... b4.. leavin us all...

...

u knw u got to hold his hand.. take care of him b4 he left. i didnt.... even get tht.. i came back to dxb as he wz gettin better coz i had exams... those bullshittin exams.. i cud have taken exams again... but icudnt have held his hand again or look at him once again b4 he's ....i mean b4 he ...he went.

destiny...

:'(

be stong jaanu... Allah ji ki har cheez mein koi na koi maslehat hoti hai.

hum bhi toh jayenge ek din aise hi... Pray for him.

Will do tht for him as well.

*muuuaahhh* sweeto

*hugggss tytly*

ReJeCtEd by GoD EmBrAcEd By The DeVil !!!!! said...

Salam mehwish kia haal hai ap ka? kafi arsay say baat nahi hoi hai .. hope you and your family are doing ok. Bohat afsoos hoa yeah khabar sun kay, mein ap kay dada ko janta to nahi tha lekin i am sure kay woh aik bohat achay insan thay.
Mein ap ko bus itna kahoon ga kay be strong be thr for you mom and dad. Its very hard to deal with something like this but yeahi zindigi hai. Dont let this change your life cuz i did and i still regret it. Be happy and live ap kay dada bhi ap ki khushi chatay hoon gay.

Reza said...

You went through a lot but He is ina better place now> We have to remember that and let him settle in peace . He was a good man and I am sure he is in a better place than this earth. He had a good life and his memories of you will forever be with him InshAllah. You did good Mehwish. It was his time to go and he did. We will all one day have to go. Treasure the time you had with him and wish him the best in the life hereafter.

I can understand your trauma and shock. I felt something like that when my grandmother passed away. You will be fine inshAllah and your family will get Sabr from Allah, inshAllah.

Zombies ate my display name said...

"Death may be the greatest of all human blessings." I'm not certain if it was Socrates or Asechylus who stated it. But I would also wish for death when suffering from pain in illness.

meshwork said...

bina
omair
mehwish
omar
reza
suleman
adnan

thanks...:)